June 10, 2013
- Finally getting a break from the rain. Outlook is for humid and hot – but clear weather.
- The ponies have been hunkered down away from sight. Possibly the storms? Possibly near the water hiding from flies.
May 2, 2013
- Finally getting a break from the rain. Outlook is for bright clear skies, warmer this weekend
- Newborn foal near Beach Road in Black Marsh area. Look to the right after the turn east
April 1, 2013
- Gorgeous spring days early in the week, cooling a bit at weeks end
- The spring pony roundup is on Friday April 5 (South Compartment) and Saturday April 5 (North Compartment)
March 18, 2013
- Continuing crumby weather. Rain, snow flurries and cloudy skies. Cold.
- Black-tailed Godwit at Tom’s Cove, can be seen from visitors center
- Piping Plover have returned as have some Tree Swallows
- Ponies are hiding in the scrub brush and trees
March 10, 2013
- Best quote of the day from the fee booth: “What’s up with the ocean?” (see next item)
- Powerful nor’easter pounds the beach causing severe over-wash, especially south of the parking lots. Parking lots were closed today, with parking available at Tom’s Cove Visitors Center.
- Possible sighting of Ivory Gulls. Two were spotted soaring above Tom’s Cove Hook about 2pm on Saturday April 9.
- Reliable sighting of Marbled Godwit in Tom’s Cove
- Sighting of the season’s first tTree Swallows
March 7, 2013
- Powerful nor’easter pounds the beach. I’m not sure of the extent of damage – will try to get there today and report back.
- Remnants of a ship wreck have appeared on the beach at the hook. Pictures soon …
- Chincoteague ponies are still hanging out on Beech Road and along the Woodland Trail
March 1, 2013
- Lighthouse to remain closed for climbing during renovation, which is expect to be completed sometime in July
- For more information call CNWR at 757-336-6122 or visit http://www.fws.gov/northeast/chinco/
- Turning very cold for the first weekend of March and seasonably cold during the week
- Chincoteague ponies on Beech Road and along the Woodland Trail
- Red Brested Merganser, male, swimming in Assateague Channel February 24
- American Widgeon in Swans Cove Pool on February 22
- Ovocet February 20 along Beech Road toward Swans Cove Pool
- Oyster Catcher in the Clam Bar, the gut along Assateague Channel Feb 13
February 14, 2013
- OLV access to the hook will end on April 15
- Renovation to start in March, to finish by July
February 2, 2013
- Warming trend, starting with highs in the 40s and lows in the upper 30s
- 50 degrees possible by the weekend!
Pony sightings outside of fenced area continues after Hurricane Sandy
- February 2, horses on the Marsh Trail again
- Tricolored heron
- Tundra swans in pool near “D” dyke
- Avocet near Swans Cove
- Eurasian Widgeon toward the end of Beech Road
- Bufflehead in pools along Beech Road